The JVI is an association incorporated under the Victorian Incorporated Associations Act. It is the official member of the Judo Federation of Australia Inc (SA) in Victoria and hence is the link to Olympic games, Commonwealth games and World Championships. The members of the JVI include Registered Clubs and Registered Affiliate Individuals. Registered Clubs (subject to a minimum membership) elect, each year, members of the Committee. Each member of the Committee is responsible for some aspect of operations both administrative and technical, for which a sub-committee is appointed to carry out the tasks.
The JVI conducts numerous tournaments for both Shiai and Kata (including the Melbourne International Judo Open, Judo Masters In Melbourne, Victorian State Championships – see the calendar section for upcoming tournament details), ratifies grades, conducts coaching clinics for the award of National Coaching Accreditation Scheme (NCAS) licences, conducts clinics and licences referees, maintains an elite athlete training squad and selects teams to compete in the National Championships.
Judo Victoria Inc encourages all coaches to obtain an NCAS licence, and all prospective students are encouraged to train with NCAS licensed coaches.
For more detail, see our constitution.
Most information on “how to” is also under the RESOURCES menu, such as areas controlled by the Grades Commission (gradings), Referee Commission (referee training) and Kata Commission (kata judges and competitions). Rules for both shiai and kata competitions are under the RULES menu and forms for entering, applying, ordering or reporting etc are under the RESOURCES menu.
The benefits of being a member of Judo Victoria Incorporated.
- Affiliation with the Australian Olympic Committee and International Judo Federation (IJF) allowing qualified representation at Olympic and Paralympic Games, World Championships and other internationally recognised IJF World Tour events.
- Membership with the Judo Federation of Australia and Oceania Judo Union allowing qualified representation at National and Continental Union events.
- Member benefits of an organization governed and managed that promotes a fair, safe, drug free environment for its members. This includes values and practices promoted and funded by the Australian Sports Commission including; National Coaching Accreditation, Member Protection, and Anti Doping.
- Access to funded High Performance, National Talent Identification and Junior Development Programs for elite athletes promoting optimal athlete performance at international level.
- Participation in Tournaments, Technical Courses and Training Camps promoting best practice coaching and training strategies delivered by a range of internationally recognised judo experts.
- Member policy and program structure and support ensuring standards expected in Australian society. This includes National and Victoria focused; Competition Sporting Codes, Grading policy and procedures, Refereeing standards, and Member Protection policy and procedures to deal fairly with conflict resolution issues.
- Open access to Victorian and National websites to keep members informed on judo news, event calendars, tournament results, policies and procedures.
- Access to Victorian and National judo publications, grading certificates and merchandise.
- Access to a national insurance program providing extensive liability and personal accident coverage for member clubs and individuals.